What is Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge?
Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge is a loan forgiveness program offered by the US Department of Education to individuals with disabilities. Under this program, eligible individuals can get 100 percent loan forgiveness after providing a document proof of their disability to the organizing body.
How Does The Discharge Process Work?
Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge offers loan forgiveness to applicants on the basis of their complete and permanent disability to work. Under this program, all Federal Direct loans, FFEL loans, and Federal Perkins loans can be discharged.
In order to be eligible for loan forgiveness, the applicant must get a certificate of disability from a registered physician to prove that they are completely disabled and cannot work and earn money to repay their student loan debt. In addition to loan forgiveness, qualifying for Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge also ends the candidate’s obligation to participate in the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant Service.
What Are The Eligibility Requirements for TPD Discharge?
The only requirement to get loan discharge under TPD Discharge
program is to prove complete and permanent disability. This can be done
in two ways:
– Applicants should get a disability certificate from a licensed practitioner. The certificate must confirm the individual’s inability to participate in any kind of work due to a permanent physical or mental disability. In addition to this, the certificate should mention that:
- Participation in a work may result in fatality.
- The individual is unable to work due to a disability that has lasted for a period of not less than 5 consecutive years
- The disability is expected to last for not less than 5 consecutive years.
– For individuals who are already receiving financial assistance under Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) program, they may prove their complete and permanent disability to work by presenting an SSA award notice.
What Is The Application Process?
TPD Discharge application forms can be obtained online. You can begin the application process online and enter a forbearance period during which interest will not accrue on outstanding balance. The forbearance period lasts for 120 days. You must complete your application in these 120 days, after which the loan will enter the repayment mode and interest will be capitalized.